Posted by kidkev in Obama First 100 Days.
Tags: 100 days, Budget, deficit, Obama, Stimulus plan
I don’t have an encapsulation of his campaign promises but here is a good one that I found.
Hat tip to NRO:
100 Days, Almost as Many Expired Campaign Promises
Happy 100th Day in Office, President Obama!
To celebrate, I thought I would go through all of your promises and statements from the campaign that reached their expiration date during this historic period.
1. “As President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.”
2. “I will make sure that we renegotiate [NAFTA].“
3. Opposed a Colombian Free Trade Agreement because advocates ignore that “labor leaders have been targeted for assassination on a fairly consistent basis.”
4. “Now, what I’ve done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.”
5. “If we see money being misspent, we’re going to put a stop to it, and we will call it out and we will publicize it.“
6. “Yesterday, Jim, the head of Caterpillar, said that if Congress passes our plan, this company will be able to rehire some of the folks who were just laid off.”
7. “I want to go line by line through every item in the Federal budget and eliminate programs that don’t work, and make sure that those that do work work better and cheaper.”
8. “[My plan] will not help speculators who took risky bets on a rising market and bought homes not to live in but to sell.”
9. “Instead of allowing lobbyists to slip big corporate tax breaks into bills during the dead of night, we will make sure every single tax break and earmark is available to every American online.”
10. “We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member of Congress’s seniority, rather than the merit of the project.”
11. “If your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime.”
12. “Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe the United States has to be frank with the Chinese about such failings and will press them to respect human rights.”
13. “We must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights.”
14. “Lobbyists won’t work in my White House!“
15. “The real gamble in this election is playing the same Washington game with the same Washington players and expecting a different result.”
16. “I’ll make oil companies like Exxon pay a tax on their windfall profits, and we’ll use the money to help families pay for their skyrocketing energy costs and other bills.”
17. “Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.”
If anyone can counter this post and provide me with some promise that has been kept and not utterly broken, I would welcome the good news. Here are just a couple of broken examples:
Campaign promise # 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14 all broken already by:
700 billion has been infused in TARP money
400 billion FY 2009 (8000 earmarks)
700 billion in a stimulus/pork filled bill
3.2 Trillion FY 2010 Pending in the House
650 Billion in new government proposed health care take-over, (down payment only)
Energy and Education policies still on the table (estimated cost–800 billion to 1.5 trillion)
5.65 Trillion before education and energy policies are added.
Anybody recall something about reducing the deficit? How about this:
His proposed budget cut of $100 Million, here is a good graph illustrating this as well:
The little dot at the top represents the size of the budget cut (mostly if not all in the area of defense) in comparison to the spending “stimulus” plan. Another broken promise and many more to come.